View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
ballegre
EcoModding Lurker

Lara - '00 Audi S4
90 day: 30.23 mpg (US)
SG still not working right

Well, I've been using the SGII on the Pilot now for a few weeks and it's still not calibrated properly. First tank was optimistic, second pessimistic, third optimistic, etc.

I took it on a family vacation from NC to NY and then to the NJ shore. There are lots of variables: 8 people, luggage carrier so full it took three of us to get it shut, car packed to the max , the variable cylinder feature, and I think there was some E10 gas variations in there as well. According to the SG (I didn't bother manual calculations), I got about 24 MPG (optimistic) on the way there and about 20 MPG back. On the way back it was windy and I'm pretty certain you can only get E10 in NY and NJ. I don't think the county I live in requires E10 but they don't have to label so...

I mostly drafted as P&G resulted in very short glides with that luggage thing. It felt like driving with a parachute. I didn't understand P&G at that time anyway (only recently learned about BSFC, throttle control and smart automatic tranny's). I did see 27 MPG at one point drafting doing 60 MPH. I followed some crazy charter bus driver doing 75-80 MPH for a few hours on the NJ Turnpike and got around 24 MPG (optimistic numbers). With 8 people in the car trip time was a real consideration so speed was important.

I estimated I burned about $250 on fuel for 8 people 1100 miles round-trip. Still the cheapest way to travel (unfortunately).

I'm still trying to calibrate. Now that I'm not traveling and the variable are under control I can get an accurate reading. If any other Pilot owners have experience with the SG please chime in.