View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #169 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
Ok here's some real info (not just my fuzzy memory)

The papers below go into amazing detail and will require many cups of coffee to help with the short-circuiting brain .... They go into testing stuff that no other testing organization gets remotely close to.

The main thing that is important here is that Toyota made a major improvement in motor technology around 2005. Most of their new hybrids use this technology; this is why I say the controller for all of them can be very similar. The paper about the development of this technology is here:
http://e-mobile.ch/pdf/2005/321.pdf

Here's the ORNL paper about the 2010 Prius:
http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publicati...s/Pub26762.pdf

For your project, it actually seems like the system Toyota developed for the Lexus 600h sedans and the Camry would be a good starting point:
SciTech Connect: Evaluation of the 2008 Lexus LS 600H Hybrid Synergy Drive System

There are others, detailing the 2004, 2007, Camry, etc. available from these links.

I know some folks w/ CNC's. It may take some interesting trades, but I may be able to get some time...

I do have solids modeling software, and CNC code generating software (and know how to use it). I do have a Bridgeport mill w/ a DRO and a Clausing lathe. I could get accurate bearing locations with the DRO. It would require some clever design, because machining it from a solid chunk would require a LOT of $$$.

Oh, regarding output splines, etc: The local driveline shop is extremely good and he just got a CNC and broaching equipment. A custom spool or output shaft is no problem here. I'll check his prices today.

- e*clipse
WoW!!! so much math... That was an enjoyable read though, Thank You E*clips! I will leave the math to the powers that be. I am interested in that transmission setup. Can the generator rotor be used as a motor as well?

Quote:
It would require some clever design, because machining it from a solid chunk would require a LOT of $$$.
That's why I was leaning towards the 3D printing of a case instead of trying to machine it from billet. Splines would have to be made so your contact would come in handy.

Quote:
I do have a Bridgeport mill w/ a DRO and a Clausing lathe. I could get accurate bearing locations with the DRO.
GAH... you lucky dog. I am working on the mill part. Got a nice lathe already.

I have about 2000 pounds of cast aluminum pieces waiting. I have all the parts for a furnace to melt it and a kiln to process the investment castings. All I need is 48 hours in a day and I may have all this done in a few years! Well not that long but ya know what I mean, life keeps getting in the way of my fun plans...

Cyruscosmo