View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
thad2000
EcoModding Lurker

New to site, looking for perfect ww kayak setup

Most my driving is done to get to rivers to go kayaking. The trailer idea is what I've used and liked best, but my current trailer is too heavy. It drags my fuel economy down by 20 percent.. (23 to 27 from 30mpg.) Anyway, I know most the problem is in weight (600lbs). Also, it's not very aerodynamic.. and I feel like because of the weight I have to keep the rpm's up to keep from putting too much of a strain on the motor. I live in a crap neighborhood too, so I like the idea of something that is enclosed so I can leave my gear in it and lock it.
Aside from that, I'm a bit lazy and know myself enough to know it can't be too complex of a design.. otherwise it wont get done. So, In a nut shell,
I want to figure out a super light trailer with great aerodynamics low cost that will fit two kayaks and not cost me a fortune.. no problem right? lol
My profile pic is what I'm currently using.. (actually it's a little different, I had to change the trailer because the wheels were too far back and made the tongue weight too high for my car.)
I'm thinking of using a besco trailer with a 3ft by 28inch by 9 foot box for kayaks hopefully with a weight under 200lbs.
I live in the Northwest, and secretly lust over a stretched geo metro I've seen pics of.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	16321