View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #176 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
That's very interesting. I like the Riley XR-3 and the Blackjack Zero. Would you have been using Subaru or Porsche/VW axle shafts?

Since the MGR rotor slides onto a splined shaft, could you stack rotors and stators together on a longer shaft in a custom case?
We were going to keep "special parts" to a minimum. Since the final drive was from the Subaru the inner Subaru stubs were to be included in the kit. Any axle shop could fab a set of axles to match the customers outer CV application.

Yes you could stack them but then you will need two or more controllers and more battery and more copper and... more complexity. More complexity equals more problems to solve and more that can go wrong. Murphy loves complex problems.

Quote:
4min 30sec doesn't seem very long for sustained high speed. I'm as much interested in creeping uphill at walking speed. Would high torque, low rpm operation result in massive heat gain in the controller?
If you had a couple lower gears you could switch to, the motor could stay at the same RPM/Voltage and trade the speed for torque. You just go slower...

Now if you upped the amps to make the motor develop more torque then yes the damn thing would get hotter faster. That is one reason I tend towards a couple extra gear ranges to use in case. I don't want the car to have a higher top end. I want it to have better drive-ability in the situations you would find in daily traffic. Creeping up hills in the Seattle area is a daily event driving to work.

Cyruscosmo