View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
undeRGRound
EcoModding Lurker

Cool Long Time HOT RODDER and Eco-Modder

But more Hot Rodding

I noticed many of my folks buying my head/intake/cam setups were getting better MPG at part throttle! At least the older ones, who had other bills and responsibilities. Part Throttle Economy was usually enhanced, even with a bigger cam! Most had a custom chip installed.

I am now hoping to apply that experience to my a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 2WD with the 4.8 V8 I got 23 MPG once and a lot of 21-22 backup runs, but now it is due for a tune up. I am seeking advice on plugs and wires, but it seems to me (so far) that the OEM parts are best due to the inflexibility of the ECU. I may look into a tuner, so I can work around the limitations. My son used a laptop programmer on his 2012 WRX and with bolt-ons ONLY, he achieved 300 AWHP when stock is 265 BHP. Something like +80 AWHP over stock! Also at NO MPG Penalty. He actually gets better mileage, since he leaned out the part throttle fuel maps. It's not hyper-miler MPG, but he gets over 30 on the highway.

I'd be tickled to death if I could get consistently well over the 22 MPG mark, and I have read the 65 tips and the 100 tips sections at least once through, so I have a pretty good idea.

I did the acetone thing back "in the day" and I was a big fan of
Louis LaPointe, (RIP, afaik) but lost my data to a hard drive failure.
I find that most of his efforts live on here