View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
The unit is grounded, that could answer your question...
No, it does not.
If even a tiny fraction of the molecules were ionized positively without being accompanied by negatively charged ions, then the static charge would be immense. The ions would adhere immediately to anything conductive to de-ionize themselves.
You don't want that to be the piston or the combustion chamber. Condensation should be avoided, not enhanced.

But there is no chance that the ions would come that far.
Any attempt to ionize fuel will just heat it imho.
Formula one racing teams have gigantic budgets to spend and analyzed the combustion process to the bone. None use ionizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
As for a fuel heater, I have seen many MPG enthusiasts place a brass fuel fitting on the exhaust manifold to heat the fuel. Might create a vapor bubble on a hot shutdown, but the EFI pump could easily overcome this in a matter of seconds. Just not sure of the safety of this with standard metal lines.

I have a theory that copper pellets (wire cuttings) could act as a catalyst if the fuel was hot enough. All the crap additives in gasoline would eventually coat the pellets, and reduce the effect.
This device is safe enough as a fuel heater, if we disregard that anything that adds to the complexity of the fuel system can cause it to fail.

Again, there is nothing to catalyse.
Copper pellets would not do anything, and that is a good thing.
The fuel as it is gets burned almost completely in the combustion chamber of a properly running engine.
Suppose a catalyst would induce any kind of reaction before the combustoin takes place.
It is bound to be exothermic, or it would not occur at all. But then it would lower the caloric value of the fuel.

But I doubt I could win this battle of words with scientific arguments, when there is such strong evidence available like guys who walk into shops and say things.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.