View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
mikee55
EcoModding Lurker

Intake mod diesel power loss

Hi, not been on here in ages, life's been a rollercoaster lately. Anyhow, I've got a Renault Scenic Alize 1.9D. Ive not done anything yet, majorwise, its not my chosen vehicle. I had to buy it after my VW Caddy gave up the ghost. I had a long winding airintake tube on it and thought this to be the vehicles main issue. Its meant to be a Sports model and yet it struggles to pull away! I took off the intake and ran a straight pipe to the front of the vehicle. It ran fine for ages, then I read that diesels like warm air to aid combustion and shortened the pipe to suck warm air off the engine. Seemed to warm up quicker and run smoother. Then after a few days running like this, I find a loss of power in the low rev range 15000 rpm to 30000! Feel like the engine has no air, so I re-lenghthened the pipe after reading that diesels like cold air!! The theorey of warm intake made sense of the fact it would be easier to combust than cold, especialy winter, but all talk was pointing to CAI cold air, so I reverted back to that! Problem remains, in that there is no get up and go! I figured maybe this vehicle has a computer and it has to re adjust to the air intake temperature change and the velocity its travelling in, but how long does it take to readjust the fuel/air mix? Also, is it true that a MAF sensor can give a wrong signal if the airflow is too great for it? Once the vehicle is rolloing I can keep pace, but pulling up a hill, might as well walk!
Can you tell me whats going on, so I can sort it please?

Thanks.

Mike