View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #101 (permalink)
xavi
EcoModding Lurker

r18 i-vtec implementation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Received this message from another Civic 1.8 owner...

I'm honestly not sure. How can I tell?
according to wiki USA and Canada is R18A1:
Honda R engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If it is be aware of some cracking engine blocks issues made in usa.

Quote:
Correct.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the eco mode of this engine, though mine also supposedly has it.

If it's true that pumping losses are dramatically reduced, then there should be less benefit to using high load/low RPM acceleration techniques compared to a typical gasoline engine.
that's what I think too. to keep the eco cam in use it's easy to stay at 2-2.500 rpms low load.
Quote:
We'd need to see a BSFC map (brake specific fuel consumption) for this engine to be able to say for sure, but it's likely that at low speeds P&G would still win (it does even in Honda's lean-burn cars).
my daily comute is very short, just like my glides... still, can bring best FE...
Quote:
I'm not sure, but that would be excellent. It may also be possible to program the SG2 to display when the eco-cam is active, but I'm not sure that info is communicated to the OBD-II port.
It's possible, I had it already in my car, but the wire was from out of the car, next weekend will put it nicely from the engine bay to the cabin...
there is a diy on a 8th generation civic forum that explain very well...
I already have a SGII
doesn't have the logg feature though, but for what I can see when entering i-vtec eco cam, the MAP get's low (sure cause the drive by wire opens wide to reduce pumping loses minimizing pressure), the mpg high, and my favorite way to confirm is the IGN get's very high (retarded ignition=best fuel economy)... TPS and LOD must be low, thats a condition to happen, also in my 6MT just works in 3, 4, 5 and 6 gear... In your 5MT must be 3,4 and 5. also the engine must be warm (1 or 2 miles is enough) and if you are off the gas pedal it's off. on coast you don't need it right?
still, looking to a number in SG isn't so visual has a small led lighting next to the SG...

Quote:
More info... time to do some reading...
it says from 1000 rpms, but is only above 1500 rpms...

The Following User Says Thank You to xavi For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (11-10-2014)