View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #183 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

It's a group dynamics thing I've noticed with a few other projects I've worked on. In a very open group, or one just starting (before politics and personalities get involved) there can be an amazing "energy" that brings out new ideas. One thing that can really hurt is a "know it all" in the group.

I really like the positive free ideas energy in this group of folks, and I'm trying to do my best to help out. I'm also not very good at this, so please have some patience with me.

Regarding outrunner motors, I'm familiar with them from an RC airplane and helicoptor perspective. One definite advantage they have is the magnets are attached to the inside of the (outside) rotor, so there's little danger of the magnets spinning off.

A thing that may be helpful with the motor/transmission decision is a general spreadsheet to calculate torque required, speed required, torque delivered to the wheel, etc. Inputs could be final drive ratio, tire diameter, gear ratio (s) , motor torque/ power curve.

For example, what final drive gear ratio does the Subaru diff use? What gear ratios are available in a C4 transmission? I'm just using these specific numbers because real numbers would be helpful. I do have all that info for my truck, but I've noticed that a tranny designed for a turbocharged gas engine isn't optimum for a turbocharged diesel engine. This really must be true for and electric motor.