View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #185 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I looked it up: Brushless DC electric motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It turns out my [850 watt] Fisher & Paykel washing machine motor is an outrunner. They're popular for homemade wind turbines. I want to put the generator at the bottom of a mast with a long thin driveshaft to the top. Low winds would wind up the shaft in torsion until some minimal gust would kick it over the initial start-up friction. It's a cogged motor, there's a little resistance at each step.

e*clipse -- Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see that at all.
Yes Yes... That type of bushless DC is great for the DIYer. I got hold of four of those motors from an appliance place in Monroe and am toying around with the idea of stacking all four stator core sets together and rewinding the coils. Lose the sad example of magnets they use and add a steel bell with a set of four inch long neo magnets and see what I can get out of it. The stator cores would be offset to reduce cogging.

I am collecting metal for a mast to mount a wind turbine above my shop. The mast will be triangular so I don't need any extra guide cable. The generator will be connected with a section of drive shaft and slip yoke so that I can remove and tinker with it without having to remove the turbine as well. The generator section will slip down the inside of the mast.

Am looking at using a Vertical Axis type wind turbine mounted on the wheel bearing stub of a Dana 60 rear axle. This way I have a brake in place in case I need to stop the rotor. I don't really have room for a large diameter conventional spinning blade.

Cyruscosmo