View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Thanks for the link.

Even though a patent does not prove a device works as claimed, it does give insight to the design thoughts.

As such, the link to the patent application gives enough information to delve into researching the device.

My greatest concern is not so much that the device can't work. It is more appropriate to question weather it works as claimed. To see the 10-15% benefits they are claiming would indicate a large portion of the fuel is being catalytically depolymerized into shorter chain components. I question the time required to do this effectively. The catalyst listed could certainly provide the reaction. But, the 100 deg C temperature would necessitate long residence times to see a measurable catalytic effect on the fuel. Certainly, current catalytic research with nano-particle agglomeration with specific geometries to provide crucial molecular transformations is advancing rapidly. But this does not side step the Arrhenius Rate equations need for heat unless you are using enzymatic processes that can perform at near room temperatures - but this patent is most certainly NOT of this type.

The only way I can see this device working is if they have a specific target molecule as an output to the combustion chamber. Exceedingly small quantities of some hydrocarbon compounds have known and beneficial effects on combustion. However, this device does not look like it has a boutique catalytic makeup to do this. And, the engine would have to be tuned to take advantage of the fuel change. A simple bolt on affair would have little to no benefit.