View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #1304 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
For now I'll make a separate C file for that, that will need to be run in debug mode with a locked rotor (emergency brake on?) at a relatively low voltage (48v??).
I am left without the DC controller I wanted to use on the DC-motor-drives-the-AC-motor-in-regen setup . I need to work with Netgain Controls to figure out what I broke, and what they will charge me to fix it. One controller appears to have an output failed (will not turn on the contactor) and the other took a 2000A+ surge before my fuse blew. The contactors look OK so it's likely something internal.

The Netgain is set up to log motor current and amps, controller temp, motor temp .. so I don't break the DC motor.

I have a couple of recycled 48V Curtis controllers that I can use to get SOME testing done. At 48V on the DC bus the AC motor (a Siemens water-cooled unit) will be able to ramp up to maybe 200 amps. If I can get the motors coupled reasonably well. The Curtis can only do 300 amps, so the motor will be fine with that. The motor temp ... I'll have to monitor.

Quote:
So, I just need to test the UART and EEProm stuff, and then I'll get the stuff together and ship them out.
I'll agree with Astro - shipping can be slow as long as it's cheap. It will take me a while to get set up for testing.

I understand the UART stuff - you are sending a serial stream updating the variables. What's the EEProm stuff? Somewhere to store the motor parameters, wigwag settings, etc? I should likely know that - I have read through the code from start to end once.

You had mentioned I'll need a PICkit 3. Anything else that you would suggest, or that you are already using? I'll attempt to make testing videos so you can see what's going on. Anything that would help it be a bit easier to understand (and troubleshoot) would be worth the effort.

I guess that's a question for the group as well. Suggestions on what I can use to measure the stuff that needs to be measured?

So far I have a clamp-on meter, a few 100A uncalibrated shunts, voltmeters, a laptop to display the serial data, a crappy infrared thermometer, a digital tach, and a scope. If I need another scope I could likely borrow one.

And a hero3+ camera to record wide angle stuff, and an android phone for a bit more narrow-angle stuff, plus a tripod.