View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
A Trek 1400 is not a low end model in my book LOL.

Do they not sell super cheap Asian brand bikes in Australia? Well I suppose it's low end wheels that you need not a low end bike, although if the bike is low end enough you can just buy a new bike instead of buying new wheels. Strange how the economics works out sometimes.
For many who ride daily, the extra cost is more than justified for the quality of the vehicle, and you won't get that with department store bikes. I went with a pretty low end "bike store quality" bike- the Specialized Globe Work 1- at about $500 plus fenders/racks/tires (and believe me, I could build myself a $2000 commuter real quickly if I wanted to).

I will attest to the wearing scenario, too. I took delivery of my commuter in, I believe, late January or early February this year and immediately put it into daily service. The front (rim) brake pads took about seven months to wear down to the metal. The $50 set of cyclocross tires I run for comfort, speed and traction are reaching the end of their lives after ten months. I've lost one tube to a pinch flat and one tail light to a Chevy Sonic. The original chain wore out so on went a $20 (seven speed) replacement. Thankfully the rims still have good life left, though I plan to swap to drum brakes and tubeless rims/tires before they wear out. Even when buying a $500 bike, though, the derailleur sometimes comes out of adjustment. I'd hate to know what would have happened had I bought a $100 Pacific bike.

A lot of that happened because I ride in the Michigan road salt, which I swear is about one electron away from industrial acid. But when you use a bike daily, there tend to be associated costs. Fewer costs than my automobiles, though. Add up the oil and filter, a fuel pump, gas, insurance and other expenses and it easily gets into the thousands of dollars every year.

/tangent