View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I go through a box of Kashi in a day or two, usually two, but there are days when I eat an entire box in one sitting. Either way, it is fairly expensive, so I looked into making my own Kashi, and all that I found was "Kashi is poison!"

Poison, eh?

Quote:
a substance that can cause people or animals to die or to become very sick if it gets into their bodies especially by being swallowed
Poison - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I do not watch the news or read the paper, but Win8 has a news app, so when I go to open a program, I see headlines, and often click on them. I removed that when I was in school and blocked sites where I spent too much time, like this one.

I really think that I would have heard if anyone had died from eating GMO food, or even gotten sick. I spent all night last week in the ER with my friend and she decided that she was allergic to the soy in her diet food, she gets sick every time that she starts her diet. I imagine that she could just as easily decided that GMO made her sick, without any factual evidence. Those blogs certainly seemed like too much hype. Fear-mongering? I just wanted to know how to use my own, regardless of the GMO argument. Besides, Kashi stopped using that stuff, undoubtedly without discernible difference, except profit margin.

So, there is a second part to the definition:
Quote:
something (such as an idea, emotion, or situation) that is very harmful or unpleasant
The idea is unpleasant, therefore it is poison? I am continuously disappointed with the dictionary. I try to look up a better way to phrase something and see a word listed as is own synonym. Oh, okay, I will just use the same word repeatedly. At least it is not an auto-antonym!