View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Almost nothing done to mod a car is worth the mileage gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
In the end, it's less the ease or difficulty than it simply not being worth it in terms of weight savings, if the end-goal of those savings is merely fuel economy.
At least if you look at it from the perspective of Return On Investment. But, just like the speed racers out there, Ecomodders look at a fractional gain in mileage more enthusiastically than others. From that perspective, carbon fiber construction is utterly worth the cost and effort.

I have a pair of large Cummins powered Dodge diesel pickups. The first thing other diesel pickup owners ask is "what have I done to it"? "How fast does it go"? "Can you roll coal"? Then they tell me about the 1000 dollar tuner, the 2000 dollar turbo upgrade and then the 3000 dollar injector set followed by the 5000 dollar transmission.

If someone on this forum has the inclination and skill to fabricate a set of body skins out of CF that helps him gain 2% more fuel mileage, I say "good for him/her"! That level of dedication and enthusiasm matches that of the "coal rolling crowd" and in many respects is more difficult to achieve.

Old Mechanics ground up build for a super mileage trike, Neil Blanchard's super slick people mover and pfgpro's 10 second, 40 mpg creation - none of these will ever meet the required return on investment some people may ask for. But for the builders and those who's enthusiasm runs just as deep, it is a win.