View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Have you posted about this before? If not, would you consider posting a dedicated thread? It's really nicely executed and I like that you tested it.
No I haven't. I suppose my numbers might not hold up to scrutiny inasmuch as I eschewed ABA testing (primarily out of laziness and lack of patience, always looking forward...) and my only metric was pre-hubcap mileage (5500 miles averaged) and post hubcap mileage (5900 miles averaged). Comparing those two large swaths of mileage and there was a 2.3% increase. I felt it was somewhat undeniable, the gain that is, however I'm sure some would say it would need further testing to confirm. The gain also seemed to fall right in line with what others had seen with the flat wheel covers in general.

I do plan on doing this to the Dart at some point too. The Dodge's hubcaps are as so>

However, I'm annoyed with the hubcaps that are "locked" on to the wheel via the lug nuts and have been considering these>

And I'd just do the same with these as I did on the Nissan, put carbon covers over each "spoke" opening. It takes a bit of time and first I have to acquire some material on the cheap. Working in motorsports, in composites, has a few advantages.

Very intrigued with aerohead's comments in the thread above and wondering if he'd weigh in regarding the two hubcap designs I've shown here (above); does one seem more beneficial than the other? I suppose the black ones appear to have more convexity? The plan is the blank off the opening similar in fashion to Nissan Versa Mk1.

Last edited by woodstock74; 11-13-2014 at 07:53 PM..