View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
We found the nozzle and they poured in one can, a second, and then a third, but the truck would not start. We kept trying to figure out what was wrong, but did not have any idea.
I'm guessing the truck was diesel, and it needed to have the fuel lines bled (primed) to run.

I've run the Dodge out of fuel twice, and both times were actually a stroke of luck in disguise. The truck has an inexpensive low pressure fuel pump, and an expensive high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump will eventually die if the low pressure pump doesn't feed it fuel. I found out both times I ran out of fuel that the low pressure fuel pump had died because it failed to bleed the fuel system. This alerted me to the failed low pressure pump, and I was able to replace it before loosing the expensive one.

Now I run a fuel pressure gauge, and have a quality low pressure pump installed.

...and I ran Lafawnda the Honda motorcycle out of fuel twice in 2 weeks during the summer, about 1/4 mile from the same gas station. I know just how far she will go on a tank, but always guess slightly optimistic.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!