View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
I couldn't even estimate how many times I've run out of gas in 50 years of driving, mostly with a reserve lever instead of a gauge. Which you have to remember to reset when you fill up. How about the last few times:
  • Died on the uphill exit ramp off I-5, rolled through a right turn and downhill into a station and up to the pump.
  • Ran out in town, three block short of a gas station. They didn't have clear premium so I only put in one gallon and then topped up with clear. The car ran poorly for the next tank or two. (Water in the bottom of the tank?)
  • I got 2 NATO 20-liter cans as a range extender. One the road trip to Bonneville Salt Flats, I let it run dry and refilled to find the 'bottom' of the tank. The gauge never goes above 3/4 tank, and when it's on no-more-reserve then 4 gallons remain.

redpoint5 -- In high school I had a friend that bought a '53 Ford, didn't check the oil, and burnt the motor up in 75 miles. So he got a replacement engine from the junkyard and put it in. Didn't check the oil! He was on his 3rd engine at 150 miles.