View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #663 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

Driving down the road today I saw a car show going on and decided to check it out. The show was put on by a local Mustang owners club.

Walking through the cars I spotted this...

1975 Ford Mustang II MPG Hatchback

He purchased it new when he was 18. Unfortunately, I was only able to talk to the owner for a moment as they were starting to have the award meeting. He did say that the "MPG" model was only available in 1975 as a option and that it had a lower rear end ratio.
edit: 3.18:1 rear-axle ratio (standard was 3.40:1)

According to what I can find on the web.

>
What about the 1976 Plymouth Feather Duster and Dodge Dart Lite. With the 4 speed manual they were rated 36mpg highway.
From Allpar.com
The Feather Duster included aluminum replacements for the inner hood, trunk bracing, bumper brackets, and intake manifold, cutting weight by 180 lb (around 5%). It had a smaller single barrel carburetor, economy distributor calibration, large exhaust, and a 2.8:1 rear axle ratio, with a choice of three-speed automatic or four-speed overdrive manual transmission.

While acceleration was compromised, the Feather Duster was now rated at 22 mpg city, 31 highway with the automatic (a stunning 24 city, 36 highway with the manual), and was larger inside than many other economy cars, though acceleration took a hit. The Feather Duster was a fine alternative to the extra-slow Japanese imports that customers were waiting to buy, at list price; or at least it would have been, had more people considered it over the quick-rusting Coronas, Civics, and Datsuns of the time.
To me this looks a lot better then the mustang II and the slant 6 Mopar is bullet proof.

Last edited by Hersbird; 11-17-2014 at 04:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-16-2014)