View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #1324 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
exactly!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only heard of "angle estimators" in regards to induction machines and "sensorless" machines.

I am going to use the resolver that comes with the motor to sense the motor's location and speed. I've made a proto circuit to drive the resolver and filter the resolver's sin and cos outputs for an AtoD converter. The proto works; the board design is currently being made.

According to Toyota's engineer who designed the new generation motors and ORNL, the phase relationship is fixed between the PM and reluctance torque in the Toyota motors. Basically the PM motor produces peak torque at a current angle of 0 degrees. The peak reluctance torque occurs at 45 degrees. The peak combined torque occurs at 35 degrees, but this differs a bit according to conditions like motor speed, etc. This corroborates with some information I've found about synchronous motors in general.

This is the big reason I'm interested in this controller. It's FOC is critical for achieving the full range of RPM and maximum torque with this motor. It's not just hype.
Sure. Angle estimations based on the operational characteristics as that motor generates two types of torque. So you need to calculate the optimum commutation angle, where the maximum torque per amp is generated

Rather than elaborate, on that engineer description, have a look at this video from 16:00 onwords

The bottom end is, if you treat the prius as a PMBLDC you will not be able to get the full performance from it, so it does require some extra work, to which FOC on its own wont solve.

Last edited by cts_casemod; 11-17-2014 at 01:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (02-05-2022)