View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #320 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thanks for doing such a nice job with conspicuity tape and LED tail-lamps. It isn't at all hard to run up on a trailer this low and not see it. Being black even more so. Beware of someone beside you looking to get in your lane and not seeing the trailer. Amber conspic tape at front can help (red only necessary to rear. Front half of a trailer is amber ,lit or passive, rear half is red). I'd not change what you've done, just throwing it out there. Conspic tape is also available in black (lights white at night). I know there will be a completed version someday.

Sure looks great. Can't wait to hear how it helps the truck settle out!!

Have we covered safety chains? Not sure how they apply to this, but for conventional trailers they should be individually strong enough to handle the trailer weight. Crossed over each other and under hitch. Enough slack to turn the maximum degrees (for a conventional trailer). Attachment to truck frame NOT to hitch receiver/apparatus. DPS should have info at local state office. Worth the trip to find out versus on-road.

A handheld IR temp gun to check wheel bearing temp and tire after 1.5-2/hrs run time. On a conventional trailer it is normal (counterintuitive to me) that the trailer tires run 10-degrees cooler [F] than those of the tow vehicle. A tire that small should provide interesing data (and info on temps, altitude and run speed). Thanks.

Bon voyage!!

Last edited by slowmover; 11-19-2014 at 07:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (11-19-2014)