View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Madact
EcoModding Apprentice

Emerald - '97 Honda Civic CXi
90 day: 40.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
If you are going to venture into header design, do yourself a favor and purchase Pipe Max ( PipeMax36xp2 ). I am unaffiliated, but it is highly regarded at Speed Talk forums, by guys that live and breathe this stuff. From dirt track to Nascar to 4000 hp pro drag cars, there's a lot of big engine builders on there that know there stuff, and trust the software.
Cheers for that, I've been looking at finding some more comprehensive software. Could be handy to get closer to the ballpark than the formula approach, and it looks relatively affordable, I might just get it. Really what I'd like though is something which actually does FEA of the gas in the pipe, so I can 'touch' it and try unconventional things - something like like WAVE (but it's about $500) or the GasDyn software developed by the Politecnica de Milano (but I don't think they even *sell* that one, I suspect you have to have a partnership with the university)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
Header design is a lot more than target an rpm and pick a diameter/length. Everything from camshaft timing & overlap, to EGT and engine displacement effect what the "best" exhaust is. Collector design is very important as well, be it a straight diameter/length, or getting into merge collectors with taper and volume coming largely into play.
Indeed - rpm and resonant frequencies isn't a bad place to start in figuring out a ballpark total size, of course but yeah, there is indeed a lot more to it, as I'm discovering.