View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #193 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The donkey CRX View Post
Yes, you are correct about colder warm-ups hurting your total MPG of your commute. But here are some others things that hurt your MPG in winter. First, think of all the amp draw from headlights and heater blower fan in winter that you don't have in the summer. This causes the alternator to draw much more power from the engine in winter.

This is not in any way scientific, but my experience tells me the following things can cost as much as 5MPG during a 50 mile commute:

running head lights
driving in moderate rain
running heater blower on high
10mph or higher cross wind or head wind
air temps below 25 degrees

My current plan to try and minimize the amp draws and cold warm ups is to add a water and oil pre-heat system and to do a alternator delete with a large AH battery back-up. I hope to have it up and running on the red 92 VX in a couple of weeks.
Excellent post. Thanks friend. I checked the plugs, they don't look too good. I'll post pics. Def want you guys opinion on them, as I'm no "plug reading" expert, by any means.

I did manage to squeak out a few 58+ trips over the last few days, which were promising.

I'll make another update post soon. Some pretty sweet stuff has been going down on the project.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
ecoTex (11-24-2014), The donkey CRX (11-21-2014)