View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
best place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_S View Post
Not quite the right image but it shows the grill area:

Yes, I realise that most people don't completely block the grill, and most people try to avoid using the fan, but I have a fan that I am happy to use and which will only use the amount of energy needed so I have a choice of where to draw the air from. The question is, which is the best place to draw the air from? Maybe it is from in front of the grill adding to the amount that ends up under the car, maybe not...
*If you're going to leave the radiator as it is,the ideal configuration is to create an airtight inlet duct which is as deep as the height of the radiator,as wide as the radiator,and 1/6th the height of the radiator,with the inlet right above the splitter,at the forward stagnation point.This might require a nose extension.
*If you were to lean the top of the radiator forward,again,with an airtight inlet duct,you could pull all the air from under the nose and at the forward stagnation point of an airdam,as older Corvettes and Pontiac Trans Am Firebirds utilized.This WOULD probably necessitate a nose extension in order to accommodate the exotic inlet.
*If you don't want to compromise the appearance of the car,then you'll have to settle for something less than ideal.You just may not have enough distance between the radiator face and the grille to allow proper air diffusion over the entire core face.
*Whatever your choice,you'll want to pull the air from the stagnation area.Otherwise you'll have single-fault failure mode for cooking all the mechanicals.