View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
working off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
i figured it was all just working off the higher pressure in front of the air dam, and lower pressure behind
all my air goes under my bumper, using stock vertical radiator. older vettes / 4th gen camaros/ firebirds leaned back. the radiator leans forward on the latest vettes, but they duct the air off the top 1/3 or so of the radiator out the hood
yes,the frontal stagnation point is nothing but barometric pressure plus the ram component of the dynamic pressure.
By the position behind the radiator core,any pathway that the exiting air can communicate with is at a lower static pressure by virtue of Daniel Bernouli's principle of the pressure/velocity tradeoff.
Your Saturns nose has the grille cut right into this stagnation area and is harvesting cooling air with high efficiency.It would embarrass many 'new' cars.
The '82 Trans Am picked up a Cd 0.015 drag reduction ( 4.75% ) with the bottom-breather setup combined with a 25-mm lower (1-inch) airdam.
'Bummer about these configurations is that so many of these airdams were torn from the cars while negotiating 'normal' driveway inclines.
Cd (11-25-2014)