View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #198 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 11/23: Lil' bit of I.C.E - Part One

So, after working a good bit on the mechanics and aero, and being that I spend about 3 hours in my Civic each workday, I figured it was time to make some upgrades in the audio department. When I say "upgrades", I mean from the stock headunit and the one working speaker in the car (right rear). It was a mighty little speaker though!

I have been on the hunt for a clean, practical headunit that was about 5-10 years old, had a lot of power potential, wasn't junk, looked sharp, and (most importantly, really) had an Amber light up at night, to match the rest of the dash.

While on my trip to Lexington, NC last weekend, I stopped at Lexington Auto Salvage to pick up a rip-free seat. Turned out to not be rip-free, and the wrong color. Nice. BUT, they gave me a very sweet deal on this JVC KD-LH910 head unit. It came out of a 97 TL, so it even had the correct aftermarket wiring harness and single din metal cage. Plays CD's, has an SD slot behind the panel, detachable faceplate. Even has the ability to add an aux-in with a $5 eBay piece. Sub-in connection. Multi-color light up options. Very cool! Only problem, the silver as it came from the factory was a bit too light, and I wanted it to match the dash properly. So, I soldered all the aftermarket connections, got those ready, and painted the trim piece and face plate to match the dash. Came out great, I think!

Let it dry in the sun at work on a deep-dish Little Ceasers box. Ghettoo!!! But, I had to paint at work during my lunch break, as it has been below freezing over here in NC every morning/evening this week.

Finished and installed:

..and my favorite shots.

BOOM

Moving on, decided to put some speakers back in the front doors, as the OEM paper cones had fallen off by the time I purchased the vehicle. Yes, they physically fell off the magnets/bases.

Here's what I picked up. Only the best for my ride: Dual brand...from WalMart. It's the number one brand for families with two kids, on single-income, survey's say.

Back when I refurbished the door cards, I removed the speakers and saved them, as I wanted to re-use their OEM connectors when adding aftermarket speakers.

First I drilled off the wiring connectors from the old factory speaker...shells.

The old factory stuff, high quality, 30W's, wowza!

Here's where 30W's goes...

The new Dual-goodness!

In the car now and sounding great. Next up is the rear speakers, which I plan to replace later today, if time allows. 6.5's for the rear, Dual as well. Yeah baby!

Plans in the immediate future to continue in the I.C.E. department:

- Install Avital 3100 alarm with keyless entry door-pulls
- Stealth kill switch
- Bass Tube or small sub box in the rear
- Build new floor for rear of hatch, carpeted, w/ holders for sub/tube, a tool kit, first aid, a quart of oil, and groceries/gear.

Also, this is a completely (seemingly) ridiculous "upgrade", but as an avid coffee fan driving a car with very-less-than-stellar cupholders, this is a huge bonus. Been looking for the perfect coffee mug that fits the small EG cupholder design. Found this at WalMart last night for $4. I'll put the label pics for other CX/VX owners here on the site. It's a perfect, no-hassle fit in our EG cupholders, and holds coffee warm for 3 hours.

To finish up this post, here's a couple pics of my spark plugs. All of them look like this. Can any plug readers out there diagnose? Any clues here to possible power loss of late (other than cold weather)? The fuel pump was bad, I'm pretty sure. Do these pics indicate an extended lean condition, by chance?

Found this at Wally as well. Worth the expense, for those running ethanol fuel? About $21.

Thanks for EcoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 11-23-2014 at 12:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
leety (11-24-2014)