View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
TL;DR: Right where the factory put it.

Quote:
Question - When the radiator does need some air for cooling, where is the best place to get it?

I could open a flap in the grill but that increases the amount of air flowing under the car and that appears to be bad for fuel economy...Has anyone tried sourcing the cooling air from anywhere but the grill? Are there any figures available for the results? Any knowledge if it is a good or bad idea?
"The original question hasn't really been answered"? I think you are disrespecting aerohead's responses. You will need to particularize the general responses for yourself in any case. What kind of car is that in the picture from WaWaWoum, anyway.

As for myself, the point I was trying to make, apparently not particularly well, is that you could leave the grille completely unblocked, put sliding louvers in a belly pan and gain dynamic control of the airflow from there. You should be able to seal the engine compartment completely, pipe in coolant and intake air and have it work just fine. If it doesn't, perhaps an oil cooler is called for. How are your transmission temps?

Quote:
It seems widely accepted that there is an aerodynamic advantage to keeping the grill fully blocked until cooling air is needed.
This is your real question. Be wary of 'widely accepted' until you verify it for yourself.