View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Really? Wow, weird. Yeah, there is definitely a sensation of loss in torque as the car goes into Lean Burn on the VX. However, the way the gearing is on our tranny's, it does work out OK that it kicks in at that 2K rpm mark. It can kick in during 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear. I've never had it kick on in 2nd, but that's b/c I use that as a gear primarily to get up to speed.

It should also be noted that I've had good success doing the following for high-traffic scenarios: Power quickly through 1st and 2nd, fairly agressively, using VTEC in 2nd (only) to get up to speed. Don't go "all out" but just be agressive to get up to speed. Then I enter 3rd at a speed where I can nearly instantly get into Lean Burn. I've found this to be more beneficial as the car gets up to speed faster, and I end up using less gas during my acceleration to speed overall. This can seem counter-intuitive, as you feel like you are using a good bit of gas in the VTEC part of your acceleration. You are indeed, but not as much as you may use "eekking" it out to get to 3rd the slow way. Plus, more importantly, you get there faster, and don't piss off others behind you.

Also, important to this thread, doing the above steps will help you avoid having to cross that awkward bridge where the FI computer can't decide if you want to be in Lean Burn, a standard condition, or VTEC. You "power through" and past that bubble-moment. Does that make sense?
Yep last sentence cleared it up pretty well. The hx only engages in 5th gear and it is a seamless transition, from what you're saying it would be pretty rough transition from lean burn directly in to vtec.

It does that at 78mph in the hx but it feels like a turbo kicking in as it does vtec very gradually

My civic thread