View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Will
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Good morning,
For the real experts I would look at the following members: MetroMPG (see MetroMPG.com), Johnny Mullet (he has a great build thread on a 2nd gen.), and Coyote X (he has a great build thread on a 1st gen.). However, here is what I know:

The Geo Metro, Pontiac FireFly, and Suzuki Swift are the same car. The engines were made by Suzuki. They are pretty reliable, but prone to problems with the #2 cyl. Some, including me, think that this is due to the design of the PCV system.

The car's other main problems are that the lower control arms are prone to rust at the mounting points. This is the most fatal flaw. I would look close at this area before buying a Metro. The dash is also very prone to sun fade, but who cares?

All later Metros are TBI. I think you have to go back to the first ones in the late 80's to find carbs.

The manual 5 speed is a must in a Metro, as the auto does not have OD. The mpg (normal driving) is far better in a manual.

The best thing I can say about the Metro is that it is simple. I rebuilt my 1.0L with just a Chilton's, and I am not a mechanic.

They are old, but in my opinion there is nothing better for the price and ease of maint. They are very forgiving cars.