View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
fujioko
EcoModding Lurker

Wow, lots of questions!,

In reply to freebeard,

The dyno is more or less made for any Mazda B series engine. The only limit is some engines may develop too much power for the dyno to adsorb. I suppose other smaller engines could be adapted down the road.

in reply to JRMichler,

I have to double check, but I believe the hydraulic pump used for adsorbing power is limited to 4000 rpm or less. The B3 makes peak HP at 5000 RPM. Selecting a lower gear in the transmission should keep the pump out of the danger zone but at this point I'm not sure if I can really do WOT pulls. Time will tell. For now it is safe to say 4K dyno pulls are are more or less the cap on this setup. My focus is in the realistic daily driving RPM range.

The gasoline heat exchanger pictured is something I fabricated last year. My on the road testing indicated that the warmer fuel reduced MPG's . I think it's another rabbit hole experiment but it should be an interesting test.

The intake air temp is another experiment that will get done this winter. The B3 Miata really loves cold air and I did some experiments by bypassing the throttle body heat and found a bunch of power. On the other side of the heat scale I plumbed in a liquid to air heat exchanger. The Miata engine snorkeled +170F air 100% of the time. The car ran like crap and and lost a bunch of power. I'm sure there is a happy medium or some tricks that can be done.

The B3 Miata snorkeling uber hot air through a heat exchanger. I got the idea from another forum and gave it a try. This is definitely a dyno experiment in the near future

So far the list is:
  1. Camshaft timing
  2. hot/cold air
  3. hot gasoline
  4. fuel pressure
  5. Spark plug indexing
  6. HHO (if supplied)
  7. Alternator delete
  8. + a few more from my list that I can't find.

Thanks for the comments and feel free to keep adding to the idea list.

Jim