View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
fujioko
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
And of course, it'll be useful to know what the MPG resolution / experimental margin of error will be with your test bed.

So cool!

Hi 'ya MetroMPG...Good point,

This will certainly be subject to much debate. I'm starting this as a blank sheet in a matter of speaking.

I'm currently writing the software for fully automatic dyno control. The completed software will handle the entire test from beginning to end.

The initial test profile will be based on a 15 min expressway run. I have captured a few weeks worth of real world data and I need to do some sorting, averaging then match the real loads with the artificial loads with RPM being the target point and throttle position, MAP being secondary. Translating the realworld data into artificial loads will not be perfect but once the translation is complete I'll have a repeatable test profile.

Once I'm able to run a full test, we will see what the numbers look like. Your guess is as good as mine. Its going to be a bit fuzzy around the edges but we should have a solid baseline.

Of course I'll run the baseline profile a number of times and look for inconsistencies if any and sort out any problems.

With some math I can factor in gear ratios and work out the distance and figure MPG.

The end result will be profile 1.0. Other profiles will evolve as I get to know the limits of the dyno but we have to start somewhere.

I'm pretty much glossing over some major details because this is hard to explain but I am aware this is not a trivial task.

Anyway, at some point in the spring the project will be taken to the next level and true real world testing will begin with the B3 Miata.

This is going to be a cool show to watch!

Jim