View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Towing with a Prius C

The owner's manual recommends against towing with a Prius C, but I don't mind voiding my warranty after doing a bit of homework. So here's what I've got:

It's a 2012 Prius C with an aftermarket Class I trailer hitch, towing a Harbor Freight 4'x8' folding utility trailer. This setup is rated to haul 800lb in the trailer, but I haven't had any cargo that heavy yet. I've used the trailer to move house, buy a couch, move appliances, and make trips to the hardware store, and I'm very happy with it.

It's kind of funny to watch a compact hatchback towing a not-so-compact trailer. Fully loaded, the trailer is just as long, wide, and tall as the Prius. :-P But the car weighs 2500lb, it's surefooted, and it has brakes to spare. I struggled to get 40mpg while towing, but the great thing about a trailer is it can be detached when not in use.

Just one more reason to get a Yaris instead of a Tacoma, if what you do is occasional hauling.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-29-2014), mechman600 (11-30-2014), sendler (11-30-2014), vskid3 (11-28-2014)