View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw's Peugeot 106 thread

Hi all,

It's been 6 months since I last logged on (work and family taking ~26 hours of each day, the rest being sleep), during which P Jr started preschool and Mrs P started to get ready to return to work. This means that she is driving a lot As Svietlana is great for long distance trips, but too big and heavy for errands and urban traffic, Mrs P and I heavy-heartedly decided to acquire a second car. Theodor is a 2001 Peugeot 106, 3-door, 1.1 liter 44kW petrol-engined metrorocket It took me a while to find a version with no extras (the hardest was to find one without power steering) - the main luxuries are 2x airbags and a Radio/CD which the previous owner installed many years ago.

The car is very light, has great acceleration when needed, as a gasser can be EOC'ed more often than a turbodiesel, and has potential for aeromodding. The battery is new (last year), as are all the brakes and rear bearings. There is also an OBDII socket, so I can use the ScanGauge.

Among the downsides (so far): The car was very loud when driving 400km home after buying it. I blamed it on the bad aero (mirrors and A-pillars), but my mechanic was surprised I even made it home, judging from the state of the clutch bearing. Once he replaced the clutch I could finally hear the engine. Maybe not the quietest purr, but it shouldn't wake the neighbors more than 3 houses away. The outer layer of the muffler has perforations from rust, and my ScanGauge keeps showing a catalyst problem (which may or may not be the reason for the check engine light always being on). The check airbag light goes on and off randomly, this may be bad wiring. In fact, P106's are known for their problems with wiring, I've noticed that the OBD socket doesn't always work, nor does the speaker in the driver's door.
Unfortunately the speedo and odometer do not work if the engine is off, though this may only be the case when it is off by the ignition. As this is Mrs P's ride, pimping it with an engine kill button may not get approval.

Another bummer is the total lack of insulation in the engine compartment - no engine tray was made for this model, so it is wide open from the bottom and the wheelwells. When I got a chance to see the underside I wanted to insulate the oilpan, but there was 13 years of mud caked on it, and not enough time to clean it. I may have access to a garage this weekend, but may not have enough time to try again. I also want to insulate the underside of the hood/bonnet, hopefully will before the end of winter. I've partially blocked the lower grille, so I have that going for me

A smaller downside are the new (front: 1 year old, rear: 2 years old) tires. Most of you may envy 165/70R13's, but when looking for a new car I was hoping that the tires would need to be replaced, so that I could fit 155/80R13's. But I have what I have and I keep that at max sidewall hoping they go bald soon

As Theodor will be used by Mrs P to drive Jr to preschool, and soon also to drive to work, then we cannot expect great milage and 1000+-kilometer tanks. Even with the ecodriving skills that Mrs P got from me, frequent very short trips and cold starts are FE killers
The first tank (4.7l/100km, 50.1 mpg) is not a good base, as half of it was smooth sailing home from buying the car. The third tank is much worse (6.1 l/100km, 38.8 mpg) because of very short trips in freezing temperatures.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-13-2015 at 02:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Sjoegerd (12-08-2014)