View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I had the ScanGauge hooked up and today was one of the few when the OBD socket worked, so I could keep an eye on how fast the engine warms up: It was -7°C this morning, and the engine warmed up relatively quickly to about 38-39°C, after that it was VERY slow, barely inching up degree by degree. I admit that we needed cabin heat, but suddenly switching the heat on did not make the coolant temp plumet (like in Svietlana's larger turbodiesel). By the end of our 50-60 minute trip across town the coolant temp only got to 73°C. Like I mentioned in the intro, the engine bay is wide open and uninsulated, only a partial block on the lower grille.

I know that the engine can get hotter, the hood is usually hot in warmer weather and I've heard the fan on a few occasions, so can I assume such low engine temperatures today where because of the cold weather, not because of a faulty thermostat for example?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread