View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I took the '07 Civic into no-man's territory on Friday: zero bars showing, and the low fuel light had already been glaring at me for ~50 km.

Turns out I could have made 1000 km (~600 mi.) on the tank... JUST... but I only verified that after chickening out and filling up! 972 km.

Now I have a better idea of where True Empty is.

I LOVE the dash on the newer civics. I totally wish I could put one in my insight lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
This reminds me of how uninformed the general public is about the oil light. For some reason, most people are under the impression that the light means the car is a little low on oil, and should be topped up sometime in the next couple weeks.

I have a friend that had a Pontiac Grand Prix with a coolant leak. He would regularly drive the car with no coolant at all, and allow the temp gauge to rise all the way into the red. I told him to stop driving it when it gets that hot, but he always made the excuse "well I didn't have much further to drive, so it wasn't hot for very long". Of course, his engine died after a month of abusing it.

Professional drivers education seems to be the norm these days, so I would expect part of the training to include a brief rundown of the warning lights that cars have, and the proper response to those lights.

Driving with the oil light on or the temperature gauge in the red; don't do it.
I was under the impression that once the oil light came on, you had NO oil pressure, A.K.A no oil at all.