View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
With that in mind, I noticed the back edge of the factory kammback curls up. Seen most easily in the first picture. If that lip is effective at redirecting air toward where the template would fall, could the added kammback reduce that effect, and be worse than the factory setup?
It's a good question and I'm not sure that I can give you a decent answer.
Here's what comes to mind:
*If the original contour was fast,the up-kicked edge would help with reattachment.Since the roof isn't a pure squareback,the slanted hatch can create lift,and the 'wing' could help with that (induced lift/hydroplaning at speed).
*The up-kick could also just be a styling gesture.(unless Mitsubishi published about it we may never know for sure)
*If the up-kick actually functions and the addition is too fast,then there's a chance that the flow will overshoot the beginning of the Kamm addition and reattach downstream a bit.Texas tech ran into this with their cab-wing research,as a hinge was used for the wing attachment,and as they lowered the wings,it created a bulge which actually created lift!
I don't think that the Kamm extension can hurt lift,as it removes the vertical force vector over the roof rear,moving all the low pressure into the wake,acting normal to the flow direction,like a ships stern.It also probably helps decelerate the top flow before separation,helping to raise the base pressure just a smidgeon.
I'd be inclined to keep it,'n maybe play around with angles a bit,'n see what the tufts do.
I really like how the plastic is formed.I've broken so much of it,it's nice to see success with fabrication.
3dplane (12-02-2014), MetroMPG (12-02-2014)