View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
JQmile
EcoModding Apprentice

Project Slow-Moving Metro

Hi guys! Bet it's not the Metro you expected!

I've been on and off the site for a while, but I finally decided that I need something that will permanently get me good fuel economy for the long run! I was looking at just buying a new-ish hybrid, but decided that it would be more fun to try to build my own. The car is a friend's Nash Metropolitan that's been sitting for a few years, and is A) Pre-smog (California)...B) Light (1800lb curb weight) and C) A free test bed, so aerodynamics be darned, we're going to try it!

Right now I have an older Briggs and Stratton Etek Motor and Alltrax controller that should be good for about 20hp and 30lb-ft (peak) and is about 5-6hp continuous. To this we're going to add a small 15-20hp gas or diesel engine, to try and get the Metro up to 50-60mph for long distances. Or, I might do two Eteks, and use a Generator to charge the batteries. Not sure of the exact mods yet, but it will mostly be an around town type vehicle for starters, as I'm hoping it'll go 25-30mph on electric power alone.

I figure that 35-40hp total ought to get it up to speed pretty quick, if we can keep the weight low enough. I had a Chevette that weighed 2500lb with driver and had 51hp, and for the most part (other than hills) it was ok. On flat ground it could get up to about 78mph, so I'm thinking that with the Nash, it will take considerably less for a 50-60mph top speed.

Anyways, that's the basics, I wouldn't expect this thread to move very quick or be updated that often (hence the name...it's a pun, get it?) But hopefully I finally am able to do something with this motor after years of it sitting.

Any advice is welcome!