View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Yeah, Kamm extensions are good on older cars with horrible aerodynamics. Seems like most all the cars made after 2000 or so have really dialed in the aero, and anything we do to try and "Improve it", short of going full boat tail, will either be insignificant or will make matters worse.

Grill blocks are always going to be good to do because the cooling systems are designed for 120°F days, going up a mountain, fully loaded, with a tailwind, and behind a semi truck for 6 hours. Since the only hill in Florida is the one by your house.....you'd be safe to choke off a little radiator air supply. (JK about the hill, I drove through Tallahassee on I10 a few weeks back, hilly area)

So I think what Aerohead was trying to say, and it's something I really believe, the way the all air comes off the back of the car should be moving as perpendicular to the direction of travel as possible. As soon air starts to move sideways to that, you are creating large swirls of air that take energy to create and thus rob you of mpg's. The object of the aero game is to leave the air molecules you drive through right where they were before you rammed through them with you vehicle. The more the air moves around, then the more energy you're using with no gain.

Great job on the build though, looks really nice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
3dplane (12-03-2014), COcyclist (06-03-2017)