View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
JQmile
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I subbed this so hard. The old Nash Metro is one of my all time favorite cars, and one of the original economy cars. It is a thing of old school beauty.

Being so old school, there are lots of little aero mods to be made that will pull your power requirements down. Maybe not into the range of a single Etek (nice score finding an original B&S one, BTW), but any improvement is an improvement. I chance to know that the underside is about as smooth as the craters of the moon, for instance.

It's also nice that you have such an obviously old tiny car. Nobody will expect it to be fast. It is its own apologist.
You hit basically all the reasons for the build right there. The Metro is waaay different already, so might as well make it even more so. I'm thinking about getting a second Etek if I can find one as a spare or additional motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's a cool one. It's crazy how much HP starts going up once you're past about 40-50mph.

I'm really liking the idea of trying two Etek's with a diesel generator now. Drive one day on electric, next day with the generator on to recharge the batteries when traffic isn't moving. Had that idea after commuting 40 miles in Los Angeles for about 2 years. Average drive was 1-2hrs one way depending on traffic. A lot of sitting.

What's the most I could put to the batteries to charge them amp-wise without them overheating? I know they have 48 volt alternators for power generating windmills and such that can put out up to 190 amps! Seems like a lot, with no electricity going out.