View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
Ive thought of the trailer lifting as your example. Actually have given it a lot of thought. Several items though keep me away from it. The lifting mechanism would not be bad, body/body seal not bad. Split door/hinginge could be a problem. It is kind of like the aframe pop ups, that to make a quick lunch break, one has to "assemble" it. I would rather have an aframe than lifting top.
Tent style though great ideas, beautiful designs at times, I hesitate due to wife and trips to yellowstone, glacier and such.
Ive spent a lot of time on the tntt website, am surprised that no one seems to want a "perfect" design. They want simplicity of construction. I want it all, but designing, building compound curves is not that difficult. I have built several small boats, which take a little thought. Bead and cove strips, thin veneers laminated together, etc. a trailer in a way is just an upside down boat.
I'm just down the road from you in Missoula. I have been looking at the exact same thing for the last year, going over every factory built option and not really wanting a popup. There are a few promising looking new trailers out there, I like this one but wish the AC was in the wall and it was a little lower.

Then the issue is the cost, it seems I could build something like that but more how I want it for much less then the $16k they want for it. I've also though about tapering/boattailing a long airstream. Those older long airstreams are better priced than the shorter ones, I figure why not just shorten a long one and improve the trailing end while I'm at it. I'm also trying to decide on a tow vehicle. I kind of want 6 passengers plus 2 dogs and a 6000# rating or so. Ultimate would be a new Ram ecodiesel but more likely will be 98ish conversion van which means I'm starting under 20 mpg without towing.