View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I got stuck about 2 weeks ago in Boston going to the baseball game. Normal 30 minute ride going 30-35mph turned into bumper to bumper 1.5 hour ride going 10mph for 7-8 miles. Demoralizing to watch mpg gauge go from 23.5 mpg to 20 mpg by the time I got back home that night.

I was using neutral when not moving but not much I could do to save it. I was about 40 miles into a new tank so I knew I had time to get it back but then on way home encountered similar traffic jam. Even tried a different route to avoid it but it wasn't to be that night!

About 140 miles through tank I'm back to 23 mpg and trying to get it to 25 by end of tank. I don't have alot of mods other than tire pressure up to 45psi (52 rated tires) so any wasted fuel is tough to make it up. Anytime I'm stuck in traffic I definitely use neutral coasting or idling. Been trying to use P&G and neutral coasting as much as possible lately.

Thankfully the weather has been nice and I've been using my scooter alot the past two weeks so I haven't had to fill up the 4runner since 7/12 and still have about 300 miles of fuel left according to vehicle gas gauge. Would love to get through July only filling my 4runner tank and scooter tank once in a month! My goal is 500 miles on a tank of gas in the 4runner.