View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
does a thermostat cause extra strain on the waterpump?

Noticed my temps were always cool, 1 tick abo e min cold at all times. I belive my thermostat has failed or that the previous owner never put one back in because my car had water and not coolant in it.

Was thinking about putting in a new thermostat but got to thinking it could decrease my gas mileage.

If a waterpump spins and produces 17psi of pressure and the thermostat build pressure to 36psi before it releases small amounts of fluid then the pump has to endure extra strain to move the water because energy is lost by the thermostat blocking the line

Thoughts? Or does a thermostat only open at a minimal pressure difference? Holding one in my hand it takes quite a bit of pressure to open which makes me think the waterpump is drawing extra energy to move the fluid since the thermostat is blocking flow

Basically running a full adjustable grill block and no thermostat would be a more effecting way to build heat and conserve energy being drawn from the waterpump once the car is at normal operating temperatures. Once you're cruising at highway speeds the waterpump is still being restricted by the thermostat to stay at a certain system pressure

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 12-06-2014 at 05:03 PM..