View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
thewanderer
EcoModding Lurker

Civic VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Check your timing and inside the distributor for bushing play, leakage, or other visible issues, craked cap, serious wear, trashed rotor, etc. I think they have an ignition module also. If the distributor has been fiddled with you may see a shadow where it was installed from the factory. Might try it back there if that is the case. It may also be a tooth off on the timing belt. Not a bad idea to at least confirm the condition of the timing belt on a new purchase, from someone who had one break 5 miles after I bought it (not a vx-old Sentra).

Welcome aboard
mech
Thanks for the info... I'll give it a look but I think it should be fine as the previous owner was a mechanic and seemed to take very good care of it as well as keeping detailed service records. He replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc. a few thousand miles ago. Everything was running perfectly fine for the ~month I used the California ECU. Not a single CEL the entire time. The CEL only started when I hooked up the federal ECU. I'm going to re-install the California ECU and see if the CEL goes away, which I'm guessing it will.