View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I think you have two main options. One is to make a small trailer that continues to follow the template off of the car which may actually help MPG, but has limited inside space and usability. The second, as Freebeard mentioned, is to make a larger trailer which will have more space and usability, but may actually slightly hurt MPG.

It is all about your intended use. If you are planning on dragging this thing around all the time, I would suggest option 1. If this is just an occasional use trailer for specific hauling needs, I would suggest option two.

For an option 1 trailer, I think you will need to use some sort of gap fillers to get to a net positive effect. Freebeard has some ideas above, and you can also look at Aerohead’s pictures and BamZipPow’s trailer. I would also be wary of using a harbor freight trailer axle for a 100% follow behind the car everywhere trailer, depending on how much you drive it may not be designed for that much use. I think the swivel wheel trailer as BamZipPow is using is the best idea for this sort of trailer, as it simplifies the gap fillers and would maximize interior space and since you wouldn’t have to worry about turning radius, but you would need to be cautions of your new tail sticking out the back.

For an option two trailer, I would build something like the white trailer Aerohead posted. Make it 48”+ between the wheelwells to maximize utility. Even if you lost 2MPG pulling it, you would still be lightyears ahead of anything else that could haul that much stock. Only use it when you need it.

Lastly, don’t forget safety. Your car probably would be able to have a class 1 or 2 hitch at the most, using a 1.25” receiver. Make sure your trailer will not exceed the recommended capacity of the car or hitch. If the weight of the trailer is going to be significant compared to the weight of the car, I wouldn’t attempt this without trailer brakes. I know that you know all of this, just keep it in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-09-2014), BamZipPow (12-10-2014)