View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
How do you define "better"? A quick Google search shows that the Jaycar unit works by fiddling the air-flow signal (primary load measurement) going to the fuel injection, telling the car that less fuel is going in than actually is. That makes the engine run lean, producing less power and using less fuel.

If you run lean enough for long enough, you can damage your engine. Combustion temps will generally go up, and hot spots can form on head or piston. Those can eventually fail, leading to a loss of compression, and extra metal parts bouncing around inside the engine. Not exactly what you want.

I have found my Ford can run 16.5:1 which is not all that lean...

So what kind of "better" unit are you looking for? One that works on a different principle? One that has more manual control? Less manual control? One that gives you more range of adjustment? Something else?

All of the above: JayCar no longer offers these units so I will need to recreat a new one, I was thinking a less complex board and chip set might be out there.

I suspect that for most of those, you'll have to design and/or build them yourself.

Also note that lean mixtures produce high NOx, and may be bad for your catalyst in the long term.

-soD
I only want it to run lean at a light cruse setting, just like the 80s TPI Camaro could do, specially the ones sold down under.

Rich