View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
update 12/09/14

Cribbing & Jacking

1) I completed the 1st two levels of boxes, at 7.5 and 10.5" high, underbody 15 and 18", but the floor jack with a piece of 2x4 on the top would only put the wheels at 7.5" high.

2) The jack began squeaking a lot and continued. I will lubricate the jack and check the hydraulic levels.

Underside

3) The exhaust, muffler, and a long exhaust tube in the middle are the lowest parts of the car, and get hot, so I might leave them uncovered or else use a screen. There is room for the low hanging exhaust to be raised up higher, but the attachments don't appear to allow any adjustments. There are 2 long metal tubes in a long plastic enclosure full of holes. Can they be covered?

4) From the middle to the sides is relatively the same height but quite rippled. Perhaps a lower, smooth surface will be better. Coroplast can be attached to the plastic sides, and there are metal beams near the center with large holes, but I'm not sure how to attach to them.

5) The front underside, viewed from the middle, is much more open than I'd thought, especially behind the radiator. I will try to cover some, as long as it doesn't interfere with cooling the engine.

6) The underside is most open in the back, around and above the muffler, and on the driver side where there's a big space. It appears that coroplast can be bent down from behind the back tire, then horizontally back and attached to above the back bumper. The underside is all new to me and will probably take awhile to complete. I will start with the back and go from there.

Next:
1) lubricate the floor jack;
2) complete another 3" of boxes;
3) raise the floor jack up 4 to 6 inches higher;
4) figure out how to attach coroplast to the back and sides.

Last edited by j12piprius; 12-14-2014 at 06:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to j12piprius For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-10-2014)