View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Xusn96
Raggamuffin

Vector - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 41.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
You can find an android device from $10 - $700. Anyone can run torque.
The dongle thing is about $10.
The app is $5
Also many many other OBD2 apps for free.

Torque is nice and all but then you have to worry about heat from the sun melting the phone.
If you power the device on and off you have to wait for a GPS lock.
If you have wifi or 3G its no big deal but if you are out in the sticks overnight and turn it on it takes a long long time to lock GPS and it is needed for many gauges.
Torque never liked me turning the engine off. even at a red light and back on it wouldn't reconnect properly and stop working. only good if the engine is on
Like most people I have android devices already and it works really well.

What it does that a scangauge doesn't do

GPS speed
pitch and roll of vehicle
compass
dash cam with obd2 info over video
live traffic
route planning
you can set a max value on any gauge and have an alarm sound when it happens.
set shift lights
make custom themes
export massive data to google earth, to excell files
with graphs ect.
many many gauges at once with many pages. you can see everything the car is doing with a few swipes left or right.

What a scangauge does torque doesn't do

Works without user input when you get in and drive the car.

Torque needs bluetooth reset or something. every time something..........

That is worth the $160 for the SG2

>I find it a little ironic that folks who will spend hours and days fabricating, and testing grille blocks, kamm backs, boat tails, smooth wheel covers, air dams, fairings, or fender skirts, engine mods, engine/tranny swaps, et al, find it a hassle to turn an app on on a device that you carry with you anyway when you get in the car.

>Yes I sometimes have to reset the bluetooth, its a sad part of the tech.

>I don't know where you live, but melting my phone or tablet is not an issue here in Wisconsin. I have never seen a melted phone or tablet from sun damage personally

>True, Torque disconnects when you turn of the car, your OBD2 is off when the car is not running afaik... This is less an issue with me as I cannot EOC with an Automatic Tranny, so EOC is not an option in my case. Either way the bluetooth general picks right back up for me if I turn of at a long light.

>OBDLink MX is not a $10 ELM327 device, more like $70, you get what you pay for from China. I needed it specifically for Ford specific OBD codes, Dodge/Chysler as well.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, SCII for the information it provides and and is capable of displaying, looks to be worth maybe $50. With My adapter and torque I can track every sensor in my car connected to the ECU.

But I think the best advantage is the 7" screen that can display any multitude of gauges/status blocks, where I want with varying sizes of my choosing. And I can take the tablet with me to use as a connected device where there is free wifi. So it is simply a repurposing of a device I already use anyway.

It just seems that there is a rather defensive almost aggressive bias here at EC to use the SCII. Idk maybe they are an official sponsor for the site or someone here has a vested interest. I am only putting out there an alternative that may be useful to some.

Community with a common goal, whether it be the environment, or just saving $$, that common goal is using the tools available to each of us to use less gasoline/diesel, or your fuel of choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xusn96 For This Useful Post:
Dave's Civic Duty (06-16-2016)