View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #1419 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
It is true that running at a higher switching frequency allows you to reduce the inductor size.

Some years ago, I made a 1kW boost converter for a lithium battery charger. At the time, Infineon made an excellent control IC that was made specifically for a MPPT, high power factor, high efficiency boost converter. At the time I used a SiC diode, but SiC Mosfets weren't available.

They had excellent app notes regarding inductor sizing and the frequency relationship.

The DS pic would be quite capable of doing this. I don't see why an ARM or ST controller is necessarily better.

It may be possible to use a stand-alone controller with simple controls that could be administered by the main motor controller.

- E*clipse

I'm sure these SiC mosfets are not the most affordable thing. I've looked into a few in the past and they were only available in TO-247 and similar, with a significantly higher price than a comparable IGBT.

The other issue is finding a core that can withstand such high frequencies. Has anyone done some research on that? It appears most are only available to OEM's with a MOQ of a few 1000's
The Following User Says Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (12-10-2014)