View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I was actually just looking at camper vans or conversion vans and really like the 1998 up Dodge full size with the 5.2 and 4 speed auto. You could go back as far as 1994 and get the same look and powertrain but they made the engine cover smaller and improved the dash in 1998. The Magnum 5.2 that came out in 1992 is a real reliable motor and the 4 speed is usually the overdrive version of the old torqueflight 727 one of the most reliable automatics of all time. I think the 5.3 or 6.0 Chevy has more power but doubt it gets better mileage and the van itself will cost twice as much as a 98-03 Dodge. They kept using the old 5.0 and 5.7 in the Chevy van long after the stopped putting it in pickups so you have to look newer to find a 5.3.

I have also seen a few good prices on used sprinters and the older ones actually get better mileage, but the vans were a mess and seem to be rust buckets. I don't know what you get for the Mercedes engineering in those things but apparently corrosion prevention isn't part of it. Maybe those van were just hauling fresh seafood or something LOL!