View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
bluesteel93
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Bluesteel's 86 SVO Mustang

I thought I would start a thread for my 86 Mustang SVO in case anyone was interested. Now this isn't going to be my daily driver anymore once I get the transmission rebuilt on the VX, but I thought I would track its fuel economy regardless. Also I haven't been able to drive at all for the past month because I had ACL reconstruction surgery so I've been itchin' just to be able to post anything! Haha.

For anyone who doesn't know the SVO Mustangs were built from 1984 to 1986 and came equipped with a 2.3 liter turbo 4 cylinder as opposed to the 5.0 liter v8's. They're pretty cool cars IMO and you don't see a lot of them around anymore.

Anyway doc gave me the OK to drive finally and I took the SVO out to run some errands and get gas. Averaged 20.9 mpg this tank which is on par with EPA for mixed driving. From what I remember it was about 50/50 highway and city driving before it was parked for a month. Nothing to brag about at all but I'm interested to see if I can better the fuel economy with this car simply by adjusting my driving style.

No ecomods are planned for it. It is slightly lowered already on H&R race springs but that is probably the only mod helping fuel economy right now. I'm trying to keep it looking as stock as possible with subtle performance mods.

I should have a tank or two left in it before I have the VX up and running. After that it's just going to be weekend trips to the local cars and coffee.

Here's a couple of pics